Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Chrome


Google just released its own web browser, Chrome
Unfortunately, it's only available for Windows, so I don't have a chance to try it out yet. But ye masses under Microsoft's thrall should give it a go. Google promises that Linux and Mac-compatible versions will be out soon though.

Market share in the Browser Wars is roughly at 70% Internet Explorer, 20% Firefox and 10% Safari.

Ultimately, I think the release of Chrome will hurt Firefox more than IE. The people who use IE use it because it came bundled in their computer, and are ignorant of, or won't bother to consider the other browsers in the market. This is the only reason I can imagine anyone using IE rather than Opera and Firefox, two browsers that are superior to it in every conceivable way.

These diehards will not switch even if Chrome makes your CD drive spit out gold coins.

If Chrome turns out to be awesome- and with Google's resources and expertise behind it, this is a fair assumption- Firefox might be swept into oblivion.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger changyang1230 said...

I beg to differ with your opinion that Firefox will be swept to oblivion. I have test-driven Chrome and found it excellent yet not enough to replace Firefox as my primary browser. If you are interested I have written quite an extended "review" on Chrome, which kind of explains why I won't convert to it in the foreseeable future. :P

As for IE, apart from being unaware of other browsers, another major reason is some institutions that only install IE in the computers and do not allow installation of new softwares.

Google is now actively promoting Chrome on its home page. With Google's popularity, I can foresee it eat into IE's market share - and at the same time offer those IE users some insight into the cool features of the alternative browsers.

3:09 AM  
Blogger changyang1230 said...

Oops sorry I have just posted the review in my blog. Before that it was in recom.org (the forum that I frequent). I forgot to include the link, sorry for that.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home